Thursday, January 7, 2016

My Favorite Names (40-31)

I'm happy with the positive feedback with the first part of this list! You guys rock!

Here's the next twenty names in my list, and keep in mind this is all just my opinion:

Girls #40. Peridot. The name of a gemstone that's known for being a light green color (and that is the only color it comes in). The light color of the stone reminds me of the spring, so this name gives me a cheerful, hopeful vibe without being too perky (witch's daughters names should not be perky).

Boys #40. Nicabar. I have to admit, I'm slightly embarrassed about this one. But I felt the list wouldn't be complete without it. It's a Romany name meaning "to steal" or "stealthy." I fell in love with this as a child. Would I use it for a son? Probably not, unless I look and him and he absolutely felt like a Nicabar.

Girls #39. Cypress. The cypress tree is a classical symbol of mourning and life after death. As odd as it is, if someone close to me died around the time I have a child, I would sooner use this name than an honor name.

Boys #39. Courage. I also love Brave, but bravery is not the same thing as courage. Courage comes from the Latin word cor, meaning "heart." So courage is being true to your heart. Lying to yourself and others about who you are so that you can "fit in" is extremely common. I want to teach my children the importance of honoring themselves. However, I don't really see this as a first name, so it would probably stay in the middle name slot.

Girls #38. Eponine. An invented French name given to us via Victor Hugo. It's based off of Epona, the name of the Gallo-Roman goddess of horses. I come from a big Broadway musical household and Les Miserables is one of those Broadway shows that I grew up with and always loved. I know a lot of name enthusiasts are all aflutter over Cosette's name, but it's too frilly for me and she's a really boring character. All she does is wait around for Marius! Eponine might be a tragic figure, but at least she stands up to her father and fights on the baricade.

Boys #38. Leveret. French for "young hare." This name was first introduced to me through a Nook of Names post about the Stonewylde series (which I still haven't read, but they are on my tbr pile). It would be a great name for a son born on Ostara.

Girls #37. Lavender. A botanical name that is also a color name. Lavender is commonly used in spells associated with healing and purification. I fell in love with it as a child after reading Matilda by Roald Dahl. It's also a Harry Potter name, but that character is not as great. Purple is my favorite color, so there's that too.

Boys #37.  March. The only month name I really love (although July and November are also very nice). I like the subtle reference to the god Mars, without actually naming a child Mars. Another great Ostara name.

Girls #36. River. A lovely water name that's more popular and familiar than some of the other names on this list. This name also has a lot of nerdy references attached to it, so there's that. This name is rated #453 for girls and #287 for boys, so I feel like it's much fresher for girls.

Boys #36. Llew. A Welsh name with a very complicated etymology. If you live in the modern Pagan world, the name Llewellyn is everywhere. Llewellyn Worldwide is probably the biggest publisher of Pagan 101 related literature. I jumped back and forth a lot, but I've decided that I like Llew (it sounds like Lou) better. It just feels cleaner.

Girls #35. Demeter. Greek for "earth mother." She's the Greek version of Ceres, who's name was already mentioned in this countdown. Demeter has a very serious, queenly energy to it that I love.

Boys #35. Revere. Back when we were all gushing over the names of Rebecca Wolfe's twin girls, she shared that if they had been boys they would have been named Vox and Revere. I latched on to both of them (if this list was going up to #60, Vox would be on it). It's a quite dashing virtue name.

Girls #34. Clove. What was that I said before about all of my favorite names sounding like Hunger Games characters? This is also a botanical name. The plant is commonly used in spells meant to attract good luck and prosperity. There are other great associations I have with this name: the tropical lands on which it grows, delicious chai, and the fact that it's one letter off from "love."

Boys #34. Falco. Latin for "falcon." You might notice a theme with the falcon/hawk names on this list. My last name, Vega, is connected to eagles (there's one on the family crest). My first name is Isadora, "gift of Isis," and hawks are one of the patron animals of the goddess Isis. So it makes sense that I feel like my future family would be very connected to falcons.

Girls #33. Augusta. Latin for "to increase," "great," or "venerable." I love a great Roman ruler name, and that's certainly what this is. I'm actually shocked that this is not in the top 1,000. I mean, August, Augustus, and Augustin all are, so what's holding this one back? Not that I'm complaining.

Boys #33. Caspian. I notice this one shows up on a lot of favorite lists. It's a very cool name. But this name is low on my list because, again, I don't really have a relationship with the literary source material it's best known from. I haven't read Prince Caspian. I guess it could also be a travel name because of the Caspian Sea, and that's kind of how I justify it. But I've never actually been to the Caspian Sea either. So while I do love it, it feels like an empty choice.

Girls #32. Phoenix. Greek for "dark red" and the name of a famous mythical bird. This one is rated #494 for girls and #355 for boys and, again, I think it just feels fresher for girls. There's a rock-and-roll-goddess vibe to it that I really like.

Boys #32. Romulus. Latin for "of Rome." Romulus is the mythical founder of Rome along with his brother Remus, and they're well known for having been raised by a wolf early in life. So it's another great Roman ruler name. This used to be my number one boys name, but it's taken quite a hit since then.

Girls #31. Rumi. Japanese for "water," "beauty," or "lapis lazuli." Like a lot of nerds, I have an affection for the Japanese culture. There aren't a lot of Japanese names on my favorites list (not all of them translate well into the Western world), but this is one that I could definitely see using for a daughter.

Boys #31. Sylvan. Latin for "woods" or "forest." This name is in the same family as Sylvester and Sylvia, but is a lot less known. "Sylvan glen" is my favorite phrase in the English language, and the connection between my witchy-ness and the forest should be obvious.

Onward to the next twenty names...

No comments:

Post a Comment