Thursday, April 16, 2015

Name Magpie: Happy Birthday to Me!

I'm thirty years old. I don't know how that happened. I must have left my time turner at my parents house. It's okay, my birthday trip to Harry Potter land in Orlando is helping to sooth the pain. In the meantime, here's some new name gifts that the world has given me:

Nightsky.  Names 4 Real is a great resource on interesting middle names. She found a boy named Nicholas Nightsky, and I am into it.

Huguette. There is a biography out called Empty Mansions: the Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune. Apparently she was a wealthy heiress and philanthropist who lived to be 104. Interesting name except...how is it pronounced exactly? Huge-et? Nope, it's closer to Hugh-ette. Still, it might be a stinker of a name to try to bring back.

Rabbie. A variant of Robert that caught my eye when everyone was posting Irish names during Saint Patrick's Day. Behind the Name says that it's Scottish, but perhaps it's widely used in Ireland?

Pasco. I'm not sure how I never heard of this, and I have Waltzing More Than Matilda to thank for bringing it to my attention. It's a variant of Pascal, which means "relating to Easter."

Thais. Well, I'm not sure how I missed this one either. Thais is a Greek name that possibly means "bandage." It was the name of a famous courtesan during the time of Alexander the Great. It's currently a top 100 favorite in France.

Akoya. This one stuck out to me when I made the Claire Pettibone round-up. It may or may not be Japanese for "seawater," but it is definitely the name of a type of pearl/oyster.

2 comments: