Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Best Books I Read in 2014


Cover design is copyright Jim Tierney
 
What is the New Year about? Well, if you're anything like me, it's about promising to read X number of books before the year is out. Last year my goal was 75. I made it to 67. That's a very good number, but it is not the number. I try to give myself some credit. Many people don't even read half that much in this country.

Out of all those books, these are the ones I believe are the best:

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett
The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-Mi Hwang
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
The Creative Habit: Learn it and Use it for Life by Twyla Tharp
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
The First True Lie by Marina Mander
Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Hopeless Savages by Jen Van Meter
Kabuki: Metamorphosis by David Mack
True Grit by Charles Portis
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

I have a sneaky suspicion that all name enthusiasts are also book nerds. Here are a few inspiring monikers from the selection up top:

Terry

Susan

Teatime

Albert

Violet

Sun

Sprout

Ruth

Nao

Twyla

Herman

Siddhartha

Marina

Luca

Katherine

Abdul

Zehrunisa

Kehkashan

Asha

Manju

Sunil

Sunita

Fatima

John

Green

Hazel

Augustus

Isaac

Rat Bastard Hopeless-Savage

Arsenal Fierce Hopeless-Savage

Twitch Strummer Hopeless-Savage

Skank Zero Hopeless-Savage

Ginger

David

Mack

Kabuki

Charles

Rooster

Mattie

Markus

Liesel

Rudy

Max

Witi

Kahu

Paikea

Koro

Flowers

Ransom

Alma

Peregrine

Jacob

Emma

Millard

Bronwyn

Claire

Abraham

Victor

Cheryl

Angela

Carter

Alice

I'm going to try for 75 books this year too. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment