Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Reminder of Comment Etiquette

I know this isn't pleasant or fun, but I need to lay down the law my least favorite thing about blogging so I don't have to talk about it again: comment moderation. This turned out to be a big problem with the original blog near the end. To be fair, most of the comments I'm talking about weren't mean, just spammy. But it was draining and not fun to deal with all the same. Which is why on this blog I now screen all the comments before they're published.

Let's get one thing out of the way first: if I choose not to post a comment that doesn't mean that I'm "censoring" the commenter. I'm ignoring him. There's a difference. It might hurt your feelings (which is not my intent), but that is my right.

Now the reason why I delete a comment is not because I don't want to hear views that challenge mine. I have never deleted a comment because I disagreed with what they wrote. Everyone is allowed to state an opinion so long as they are nice about it. I usually wind up deleting comments if a) they're not relevant to the original post or b) the language comes across as antagonistic. So take note on those two points.

In short, my dear readers, you are not entitled to be heard and agreed with by everyone. That's life. So keep comments on topic and be kind. It's not that hard. If you don't pay attention to the way that you comment, then you're going to slowly kill a blog you love.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Isadora! I had no idea you had started a new blog, this is wonderful news! I'm so happy to read you again! xxx

    ReplyDelete