Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Name Magpie: Back to School

Happy October! I missed September, so I'll just be a name magpie every second month, okay? Good.

Like a lot of people, I am busy being a student again. I'm in the middle of getting a TEFL certification. If you're not familiar with that initialism, it's training for teaching English in foreign countries. Which means that instead of writing here, I have been relearning grammar terms and researching countries. But Bewitching Names and Curious Ideas will be international! Isn't that exciting?

Until then, I've been finding new names in the nooks and crannies of the Internet and in my daily wanderings.

Blackery. This one is a surname that I had never heard before. It seems like many parents and name enthusiasts are looking for new and interesting surnames to use in the first spot, and this one fits the bill. It's kind of like Bellamy, but with more bite.

Calytrix. Found by Mer de Noms, it's the name of a genus of a group of plants.

Tearose. It is a little bit too cute for my taste, but it makes a whimsical middle name. Or maybe a name for a fairy.

Amphora. I thought this sounded like a beautiful name, but then I found out that it's the proper term for the Ancient Greek vases with the long necks. Well, I guess if Calico can be a name, so can Amphora.

Plover. It means "belonging to rain," and it's the name of a type of bird. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I live in an area with a lot of rain, but I'm really digging this.

Simrin. I have heard of this name before, but I am having some trouble finding information for it. My Google-fu suggests that it might be from India, but I'm not all that convinced. I'm posting it here in the hopes that someone else might know something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment